The Bavarian Lake Shipping Company has just commissioned Germany’s largest electric lake ship, the „EMS Berg“.
For day trippers from Munich and tourists from near and far, Lake Starnberg has always been a worthwhile destination. Soon, the region will be enriched by another attraction, as locals and guests will be able to enjoy a special sailing experience during the summer season. The fleet of the Bayerische Seenschifffahrt (Bavarian Lake Navigation) at Lake Starnberg will be reinforced by a 35-metre-long excursion boat that is purely electric and powered exclusively by green electricity. As the largest of its kind, it offers space for 300 people.
Bavaria’s Minister of Finance and Home Affairs, Albert Füracker, is delighted about the addition to the white-blue fleet on the occasion of the ship’s christening on 11 May. „The new ship sends a great signal for environmental and climate protection. This way, the beauties of the world-famous lake can be experienced in an even more environmentally friendly way“.
Although Bayerische Seenschifffahrt already has 100 years of experience with electric drives with its electric motor boats on Lake Königssee, it is breaking new ground with the new ship on Lake Starnberg: it is not only significantly larger, it also has more decks, a lift and even a charging station for e-bikes. The ship’s energy supply is provided by a battery system with a capacity of around 1,600 kWh. This is enough for a day’s use at an average of 20 km/h.
As with electrically powered vehicles on land, the electric motor pulls strongly right from the start, which means a certain amount of adjustment for captain and crew. But the crew and passengers can enjoy the great feeling of floating almost silently over the water.
The most important data on the 100% eco-powered electric motor ship Berg
- Capacity: 300 people. Of which 88 – 100 seats inside at tables and 100 seats on the open deck.
- Number of salons: 1
- Sanitary facilities, disabled WC, changing table.
- Lookout tower with panoramic view.
- Climbing wall on the open deck for the older children and memory wall for our younger guests.
- Charging facility for e-bikes.
- Music system, MP3 connection, microphone with loudspeaker system, power connections for 230 V (220 V)
- Drinks, snacks and coffee vending machines on board.
- Length: 35 m, width 8.20 m, year of construction: 2021
- E-drive: Lithium-ion batteries to supply energy to the on-board network and the drive components with a total capacity of around 1,600 kWh.
- The batteries are charged overnight at the port of Starnberg using green electricity.
Pictures: Bavarian Lake Navigation